Vegan MoFo

Vegan MoFo
I am participating in the Vegan Month of Food!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pre-MoFo Thoughts

I've spent some time working up an idea for how I want this MoFo to kick off. First and foremost, after some massive painful digestive experience with the boyfriend's fresh juices, I will probably not be including too many of them for my own consumption, but he LOVES them, so we'll probably be juicing and I will post recipes and photos. I can taste them and have about 1/2 of a cup of juice without any detrimental side effects, so that might be the extent of my firsthand knowledge of juice.

However, after watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" with the boyfriend, I am increasingly fond of the idea of doing a cleanse. My biggest problems in a dietary sense are going overboard on carbs, and all of the accessories that come with carbs. Case in point, pasta's fine, but pasta with olive oil and garlic is even better. Right? Well, I think we're going to need a breather on that one. Also, I drink soda. Diet soda. And way too much of it. (Although it can be argued that any amount is Too Much.)

Another problem presented by October (and the rest of the year) is that there are big holidays each month, and it's hard to relegate celebratory eating to exclusively those holidays. There are parties that are conveniently timed, but that spreads out the opportunities to be naughty naughty. I don't care what time of year it is, if I'm at a party that has a bowl of hummus and some grape tomatoes, both will be gone in minutes. No questions.

October is my birthday month, so I have built in a two-day "You Can Go Off Track" section to let things stay happy. Neither of those days is Halloween, so I will have to be super good on Halloween itself. And whatever parties happen prior to Halloween (stupid weekday holidays) will be spent candy-free and sober.

This will be a month of extreme willpower. I have an emotional attachment to food, and I'm trying to break that. I want to eat to live, not live to eat... you know the drill, right?

I also think that having a limited diet doesn't mean having a boring one. Since I am currently unemployed, I have more than enough time to be creative with the fresh foods I will be eating, and I will not be giving up satisfaction of a good meal in order to achieve health, because I firmly believe that I don't have to.

I was at a point where I had lost 103 pounds. I have gained some of that back over a stressful summer where I had just lost my job and was going through a period of mild panic, and perhaps depression about the uncertainty in my life. I am desperate to reintroduce structure into my life, and Vegan MoFo will be a fantastic forum for me to be publicly accountable for what I consume.

Tomorrow, for my first MoFo post, I will introduce what I plan to do over the next 31 days, and you will begin to see what I eat when I am getting serious about my health again. I will be honest about my emotions and struggles, and I will do my best to stick with a month of re-learning how to eat.

It's going to be a fantastic October.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I am sooo looking forward to seeing everyone's posts! First time participating...Vegan MOFO 2012!

    ReplyDelete